Stephanie Bedker helps clients navigate complex civil litigation and provides efficient and effective solutions. With over fifteen years of teaching experience prior to entering the legal field, Stephanie utilizes her unique skills to educate and advocate for her clients. Her practice focuses on civil litigation, with an emphasis in healthcare litigation and professional discipline and negligence.
Stephanie has a broad range of experience in federal and state court litigating complex commercial matters and class actions. Prior to joining Messner Reeves, Stephanie represented school districts in defending civil rights claims and businesses litigating a variety of commercial and corporate litigation, including employment, contract, and personal injury cases.
Stephanie’s representative matters include:
- Obtaining summary judgment in a personal injury case on behalf of a national car rental agency in a case of first impression in Nevada.
Defending a school district against a class action lawsuit, leading to settlement resolution.
- Obtaining multiple dismissals of lawsuits against mortgage lenders and servicers involving claims of fraud and alleged violations of Nevada’s Homeowners Bill of Rights.
- Defending a well-known entertainment venue in class action litigation where independent contractors sought to retract prior contractual agreement and pursue employment wages and benefits.
- Obtaining judgment in favor of a client while upholding contractual choice of laws and venue provisions in a highly contested healthcare dispute on behalf of the State of Nevada.
- Prior to legal practice, Stephanie was a middle and elementary school music teacher in Nevada and Iowa, teaching orchestra and band.
Stephanie attended the University of Las Vegas Boyd School of Law as a part-time night student while continuing to teach at a Title I school within Clark County School District.
Stephanie is a proficient violinist with thirty years of violin instruction and performance. Outside of the office, she enjoys international travel, reading, and fostering kittens.
- William S. Boyd School of Law, University of Nevada, Las Vegas, NV (J.D., cum laude), 2016;
- The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio (Masters of Music in Music Education), 2004;
- Oberlin College and Conservatory of Music, Oberlin Ohio (Bachelor of Music in Music Education and Bachelor of Arts in English Literature), 2000.
- American Bar Association, member, 2016-present
- Clark County Bar Association, member, 2016-present
- Society of Advocates, 2013-2016
- Phi Beta Kappa National Honor Society, 2000-present
- Pi Kappa Lambda National Honor Society, 2000-present
- Legal Aid Center of Southern Nevada, Las Vegas, NV
- Pro Bono 100 Hours Club, 2017
- Pro Bono 200 Hours Club, 2018
- Pro Bono 50 Hours Club, 2019
- CALI Awards for Lawyering Process II and Lawyering & Psychology
- Nevada Law Journal, Articles Editor, 2014-2016
- Society of Advocates, Boyd School of Law, 2014-2016
- Dean’s Honor List, Spring 2015, Fall 2015, Fall 2015
- Semi-finalist in the Clark County Bar Association Moot Court
- Competition, April 2013
- Top Ten Brief, Cardozo BMI Moot Court Competition, March 2015
- University Graduate Fellow, The Ohio State University, 2003-2004
Publications and Speaking Engagements
“Summary of In re Parental Rights as to A.L., 130 Nev. Adv. Op. 91,” Nevada Supreme Court Summaries, November 13, 2014.
- Legal Aid Center of Southern Nevada, Las Vegas, NV – Pro Bono Attorney, 2016-present
- Community Service Program, Bankruptcy Course Instructor, Summer 2013
- Greenberg Traurig, Las Vegas, NV – Summer Associate, June-August 2015; Associate 2016-2020
- U.S. District Court, District of Nevada, Las Vegas, NV – Judicial Extern, June-August 2014
- Clark County School District, Las Vegas, NV – Music Teacher, 2004-2016
- Mount Vernon School District, Mt. Vernon, Iowa – Music Teacher, 2000-2003