Ryan Loosvelt is a Partner in our Litigation, Banking/Financial Services, Intellectual Property, Entertainment and Sports Law, and Appellate practice groups. Over the past 15 years, Ryan’s experience has spanned across several legal fields with a background in commercial litigation, insurance defense, and experience with corporate consulting. He practices in the fields of corporate litigation and business disputes, banking and financial services, intellectual property law, entertainment law, insurance, real estate, and construction law, with significant experience in state, federal, bankruptcy, and appellate courts.
Ryan represents the interests of business entities and individuals in disputes arising from a wide spectrum of issues nationally and internationally. His commercial litigation practice focuses on business litigation, including contract disputes and business torts, intellectual property litigation, banking law, securities law and shareholder disputes, construction and real estate matters, corporate litigation, entertainment law, and insurance coverage and defense. His extensive litigation experience includes litigating many cases in both state, federal, and bankruptcy courts, prosecution and defense of class actions and complex litigation matters, and appeals before the Nevada Supreme Court and the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit. Ryan is also well-versed in alternative dispute resolution, using mediation and arbitration as a cost-effective alternative when it serves the interests of his clients.
- University of San Diego School of Law, J.D. – 2003
- Barcelona Institute of International and Comparative Law – 2001
- University of Michigan, B.A., Political Science and Government, 1997
- American Society of Legal Advocates
- Top 40 Lawyers Under 40 in Nevada, 2014
- Represented international corporation located in England and doing business in India against disgruntled shareholders based in Mauritius. Overturned injunctive relief and receivership within weeks of retention allowing client’s approximate $30 million sale of interest in Indian airline to proceed unfettered, and negotiated dissenters’ rights in reverse merger.
- Represented parent company to worldwide casino hotel resorts in business dispute involving breach of contract, bad faith, and intentional interference claims between international parties based in United States, France, China, and Israel. Conducted trial preservation testimony internationally during discovery and obtained full judgment in favor of client on all claims on the second day of trial.
- Represented a Fortune 500 corporation to pursue relief against two serial cyber squatters. Protected client’s interest by obtaining a permanent injunction, securing return of over 20 domain names, and recovered $1 million in statutory damages, corrective advertising damages, and attorney fees.
- Replaced trial counsel two weeks prior to appellate oral argument before the Nevada Supreme Court. On behalf of national corporation, drafted and submitted comprehensive Supplemental Appellate Brief seeking adoption of the cumulative error doctrine in Nevada based on numerous trial errors which directly resulted in Appellee accepting settlement offer for $2 million less than underlying judgment prior to oral argument.
- Represented Swiss-based asset managers, banks, and their officers in international action alleging securities law violations relating to alleged non-disclosures and misrepresentations in connection with tender offer. Obtained dismissal of all claims against client shortly after filing comprehensive motion to dismiss the amended complaint.
- Brought suit in Las Vegas on behalf of national furniture rental company against competitor stealing employees and raiding client’s trade secrets in a series of unfair competition, misappropriation of trade secrets, and breach of employment contract lawsuits across the country. Obtained favorable outcome of case in global resolution of controversies amongst parties after injunctive relief stage of proceedings.
- Defended ocean carrier headquartered in China against strict liability and statutory claims as a result of injuries alleged from the international transportation of hazardous chemicals. Obtained summary judgment on all claims in favor of client.
- Defended national banking association in arbitration against business customer seeking $1 million for past and future loss of profit damages. Obtained arbitration award recovering attorney’s fees on behalf of client.
- Successfully represented foreign state credit union against Fair Credit Reporting Act claims leveraging recent Nevada case law favorable to information furnishers concerning the reporting of collection issues and bankruptcy after discharge.
- Strategically obtained judgments and dismissals of all claims in several court systems and on appeal for national banking client against a serial filer involving claims for RESPA, TILA, Fair Debt Collection Act, fraud, race discrimination, breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, unfair trade practices, and slander of title, in the U.S. District Court for the District of Nevada (defense judgment for client), Eighth Judicial District Court, Clark County, Nevada (dismissal with prejudice of all plaintiff’s claims), U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Nevada (dismissal of plaintiff’s Chapter 13 bankruptcy petition and dismissal of plaintiff’s adversary proceeding with prejudice), and in the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals (affirming order denying injunctive relief and dismissal of six additional appeals).
- Successfully defended and obtained dismissal of claims for fraud and conversion against employee of national client that develops commercial and residential mixed-use real estate, recovered attorney’s fees as sanctions against plaintiff and plaintiff’s lawyers, and obtained dismissal of plaintiff’s appeal in the Supreme Court of Nevada.
- Obtained dismissal with prejudice at pleading stage prior to expensive discovery proceedings for national banking institution and its employees and agents against claims involving mortgage loan securitization theories, fraud, wrongful foreclosure, slander of title, emotional distress, TILA and RESPA violations, and seeking rescission of a Note and Deed of trust.
- Negotiated dismissal with prejudice of statutory title insurance claims against national financial institution client.
- Successfully negotiated and resolved claims concerning intentional interference with contract and prospective business advantage against national business client prior to expensive discovery and motion practice by leveraging cross-claims against a co-defendant forcing global resolution of controversy to client’s satisfaction.
- Successfully oversaw resolution of adversary proceeding against creditor client in bankruptcy court prior to trial concerning claims for preferential transfer, disallowance of claim, and transferee liability.
- Successfully obtained defense judgment for national online gaming client on intra-office IP litigation team at conclusion of four-day omnibus claim construction and summary judgment hearing challenging 52 asserted patent claims by electronic gaming competitor as invalid.
- Successfully obtained $1.5 million judgment and attorney’s fee award for Grammy-nominated music producer client against three Los Angeles and Las Vegas based music labels and joint personal liability their owner under alter ego theory in copyright and breach of contract lawsuit.
- Successfully obtained summary judgment in defense of national banking institution against claims involving contract, fraud, UCC, and financial regulations brought by entertainment company seeking in excess of $1 million for 5 year comprehensive scheme of check fraud and unauthorized online transactions in company bank accounts perpetrated by company’s financial manager.
- Regularly represented clients pro bono in family law matters including child custody, child support, termination of parental rights, and quashing of arrest warrants.
- Represented local sports league, an affiliate of a national professional league, pro bono concerning corporate compliance, litigation prevention, and resolution of controversies involving league members.
- Holland and Hart LLP, Of Counsel, Oct 2014 – Aug 2018
- Duane Morris LLP, Partner, Jan 2006 – Sep 2014