David Mortensen is a Partner in the firms Health Care and Litigation practice groups. He has lived in Nevada since 1983. Since that time, his practice has focused upon advice and representation for health care professionals and business entities. David has successfully tried to verdict numerous complex healthcare and general tort cases. In 2011, he was selected National Coordinating Counsel for the hepatitis C Mass Tort Litigation pending in both state and federal courts in Nevada.
David is licensed to practice in all courts in the State of Nevada, the U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit, and the U.S. Supreme Court. He has an “AV Preeminent” rating with Martindale Hubbell.
He is an active participant in the legal community and a member of the Clark County and American Bar Associations, the State Bar of Nevada, Defense Trial Lawyers of Nevada, National Health Law Association, Professional Liability Defense Federation, Professional Liability Underwriting Society, Claims and Litigation Management Alliance, and the International Amusement and Leisure Defense Association.
- University of Utah (J.D., 1983; William H. Leary Scholar for Academic Distinction )
- University of Oregon (B.S., 1980; Pi Sigma Alpha)
- Clark County and American Bar Associations (Litigation and Tort and Insurance Practice Sections; Fidelity and Surety Law Committee)
- Defense Trial Lawyers of Nevada
- National Health Law Association
- International Amusement and Leisure Defense Association
- Professional Liability Defense Federation
- Professional Liability Underwriting Society
- Claims and Litigation Management Alliance
- Listed in Mountain States Super Lawyers (2009 – 2018); Listed in Corporate Counsel Super Lawyers ( 2010)
- Best Lawyers – 2022
Publications and Speaking Engagements
- “Malpractice Spotlight: Sepsis (Diagnosis, Treatment & Adverse Events)”, NMIC, Fall 2016
- “Taming the Reptile: The Defense Bar’s Response to The Reptile Method”, NMIC, Fall 2016
- “Legal Spotlight: NRS 42.021 in Medicare, Medicaid and ERISA Cases”, NMIC, Spring 2016
- “Professional Licensing Boards: Rights & Responsibilities”, NMIC, Fall 2015
- “Legal Update: NRS 41A.071: Expert Affidavit Requirement”, NMIC, Fall 2014
- “Shrinking the Statute of Limitations“, Physician Insurer, First Quarter 2013
- “Reporting Adverse Events: When, Where, Why & What Next?”, NMIC, Fall 2013