Scott Hawranek is a partner in the firm’s Intellectual Property Group in Colorado. His practice focuses on intellectual property litigation, protection, and development for his clients’ most valuable technologies. He uses his engineering background and experience in intellectual property law to provide his clients with solutions and winning strategies.
Scott has experience winning patent, trademark, copyright, and other intellectual property disputes such as trade secret misappropriation and licensing disputes. He handles complex cases by working with his clients to achieve cost-effective and beneficial business solutions as favorable outcomes.
Scott has significant experience practicing before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) in developing and challenging patents. He has been involved in various post grant proceedings including inter partes and ex parte reviews. He also has extensive experience developing and monetizing valuable patent portfolios both in the United States and abroad.
Previously, Scott practiced in his own intellectual property law firm, at major international law firms in Washington, D.C., Virginia and Colorado, and as in-house counsel for a global technology company. He also worked as a patent examiner for the USPTO. Before starting his legal career, Scott was a research and development engineer.
- George Mason University School of Law (J.D.), Patent Law Track
- Arizona State University (B.S.E.), Chemical Engineering
- Listed as Top Attorney in Colorado Springs (2020–present: Intellectual Property – Copyright, Patent, Trademark & Trade Secret Law)
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Federal Circuit Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Previous work with the Greater Colorado Springs Chamber and Economic Development Corporation in the Biosciences Committee
- Adjunct Professor “Understanding Intellectual Property Rights” at the University of Colorado at Colorado Springs
- Adjunct Professor “Intellectual Property Rights for Engineers and Scientists” at Northern Arizona University
- Youth soccer coach and intro to ski racing instructor
Representing companies in all aspects of intellectual property litigation, including complex litigations involving patents, trademarks and trade dress, copyrights, trade secrets, and unfair competition.
Representing startup and small technology companies in the development of valuable patent and trademark portfolios as well as licensing, investment, monetization, and acquisition counseling.
Representing companies in various post grant proceedings before the USPTO.