We ensure compliance with the law and avoid litigation by crafting cost-effective policies, practices and procedures. Our goal is to develop custom employment practices that provide for ease of administration, business success and maximized employee performance. We also develop education and compliance tools and training programs to implement new or unfamiliar practices. As part of our preventive practices, we conduct internal audits and workplace investigations to reduce litigation risks. Additionally, we are available to our clients on a daily basis to answer routine questions and assist with personnel matters.
When litigation arises, we offer effective, efficient legal assistance. Our attorneys have substantial experience defending employers in every state and federal forum in which labor and employment law claims are adjudicated.
We also assist employers when traditional labor law matters arise. We have represented clients in proceedings under collective bargaining agreements, union organizing campaigns and collective bargaining negotiations. We have also been involved in advising clients in matters relating to concerted employee activity, union recognition and bargaining and other issues related to employer-union relations.
In addition to the representation of management in employment and labor disputes, we also represent clients in related business planning and litigation. We litigate matters such as employment contracts, trade secrets, unfair competition and covenants not to compete. We also work with the attorneys in the firm’s other practice groups when compensation and benefits issues arise in connection with their practices. Further, we work with executives on structuring and negotiating compensation and severance packages.
Preventive Practices/Compliance Counseling
- Effective Handling of Performance and Discipline Problems
- Management Training
- Employer Handbooks and Policies
- Compliance Audits
- Workplace Investigations
- Personnel Reductions and Workforce Restructurings
- Workers’ Compensation
- Management of Disability, Illness and Injury Issues
- Workplace Safety
- Personnel Audits
Related Business Matters
- Privacy Issues
- Executive Compensation
- Separation/Severance Packages
- Unfair Competition and Trade Secrets
- Covenants Not to Compete
- Nonsolicitation and Confidentiality
Our Worker’s Compensation expertise can address the following concerns (among others):
- The intersection between workers’ compensation and numerous other employment laws, such as ADA, FMLA, OSHA, and FLSA. As a result, we are able to provide a more complete representation addressing all other aspects of the employment relationship.
- Advising employers on the return-to-work requirements for employees on workers’ compensation leave.
- Furthering claims if necessary through the appellate process from the ICAO level to the Colorado Court of Appeals and Supreme Court
- Defending employers and their respective carriers in all aspects of workers’ compensation claims from compensability determinations to permanent and total disability hearing.
We not only provide our clients with the knowledge and experience necessary for the effective management of workers’ compensation matters, but we also offer the added value of extensive national resources that enable us to focus on all aspects of state, federal and local employment laws.
Defending Our Clients
We defend our clients before administrative boards in state and federal courts with respect to all federal employment and labor laws as well as corresponding state and local laws and regulations. Recently, our activities on behalf of clients have focused on the following areas of our practice:
- Title VII of the Civil Rights Act
- Age Discrimination in Employment Act
- Americans with Disabilities Act
- Family and Medical Leave Act
- Fair Labor Standards Act
- Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act
- Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA)
- Employee Free Choice Act
- Colorado Anti-Discrimination in Employment Act
- Colorado Wage Claims Act