In an age of legal consolidation, Mr. Messner built Messner Reeves from scratch into a national full-service business law firm with offices in ten cities with plans to open other offices. As a founding partner of Messner Reeves LLP, Mr. Messner’s practice focuses on business counseling, crisis management, corporate governance, and leadership mentoring. He has led a team of lawyers to navigate some of the most notable corporate crisis situations in recent memory. He also has counseled Boards of Directors of public and private companies, and non-profit organizations. Mr. Messner counsels and mentors CEOs and business leaders on leadership, business growth, and team building.
A West Point graduate and US Army Ranger, Mr. Messner served as an Infantry Company Commander prior to leaving the Army to attend the University of Denver College of Law. Mr. Messner resides in New Hampshire and continues his public service as part of the Wentworth Watershed Association—an association made up of residents and landowners in the Lake Wentworth/Crescent Lake watershed who are dedicated to the protection and preservation of the watershed’s lakes, streams, and critical habitats.
Mr. Messner mentors student-athletes at West Point. He is Chairman of the Board of the Army West Point Athletic Association, an association whose goal is to support the Division I collegiate athletic programs of the United States Military Academy. His sons, Max and Thomas, are currently attending West Point as they continue the tradition of service to the country.
- University of Denver Sturm College of Law, J.D., 1987, Order of St. Ives
- United States Military Academy; West Point, New York, B.S., Engineering, 1979
- Army West Point Athletic Association, Chairman
- Wentworth Watershed Association
- Messner Foundation
- Former Member Board of Trustees – Association of Graduates, U.S.M.A.
- Colorado Bar Association
- Denver Bar Association
- Army Athletic Association
- Mechanized Infantry Company Commander/Executive Officer/Platoon Leader–U.S. Army; Captain, 1980-84
- Airborne School, 1978
- Army Ranger School, 1977
Publications and Speaking Engagements
- Bradley, Campbell, Carney & Madsen, Partner, 1991-95
- Kirkland & Ellis, Associate, 1987-91