Ms. Salinas-Van Orman is part of the firm’s Litigation and Health Law Practice Groups. She received her medical degree from the Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México in 1994. She went on to complete her Ophthalmology residency and Glaucoma fellowship training at the hospital of the Asociación para Evitar la Ceguera en México where she remained on faculty. In 2003, she moved to Colorado and worked as the Research Director at Glaucoma Consultants of Colorado overseeing 74 ophthalmology FDA Multicenter Clinical Research Trials. After twenty years of working in the medical field, Ms. Salinas-Van Orman earned her law degree at the University of Denver, Sturm College of Law, and joined Messner Reeves LLP in 2015.
Her practice is focused primarily in the areas of medical malpractice and professional licensing matters. She defends healthcare providers against professional negligence claims and represents them in matters involving the Colorado Medical Board. She also assists clients with medical insurance appeals and HIPAA and Medicare matters.
Ms. Salinas-Van Orman’s experience as a doctor combined with her knowledge as an attorney allows her to bring a unique and valuable perspective to her litigation practice and truly understand the medical issues and legal challenges healthcare providers face in their daily practice.
While in law school, Ms. Salinas-Van Orman participated in the Civil Litigation Clinic representing underprivileged clients in employment matters and temporary restraining orders. She worked as a law extern at BarrADR and the Denver District Court, with the Honorable Robert McGahey Jr., where she gained significant experience in mediation and litigation. She served as staff editor on the Criminal Law Review and was the President of the Health Law Society. Since 2012, Ms. Salinas-Van Orman has been volunteering at Project Safeguard providing assistance to Hispanic women who are seeking to represent themselves in divorce and/or allocation of parental responsibility matters.
- University of Denver, Sturm College of Law, J.D., 2014
- Asociación para Evitar la Ceguera en México, Glaucoma Fellowship, 1999
- Asociación para Evitar la Ceguera en México, Ophthalmology Residency, 1997
- Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, M.D., Magna Cum Laude, 1994
- Colorado Bar Association
- Denver Bar Association
- Colorado Women’s Bar Association
- Colorado Hispanic Bar Association
- Mexican Society of Ophthalmology
Ms. Salinas-Van Orman has published a dozen papers in peer-reviewed journals on various medical topics, authored three chapters in glaucoma textbooks, and co-authored three ophthalmology textbooks with other leaders in her field. She lectured nationally and internationally on a variety of topics in ophthalmology. She participated in over 80 FDA Multicenter Clinical Research Trials in México and the US, and provided consulting services to two leading ophthalmology device companies seeking FDA approval for glaucoma stents from 2008 to 2012.
Publications and Speaking Engagements
Project Safeguard, Volunteer, 2012- present
Legal Nights at El Centro Humanitario, Volunteer, 2013
Cataract Surgery Humanitarian Mission Trips in México, 1995-1998
- Denver District Court, The Honorable Robert McGahey, Jr., Legal Extern, 2014
- BarrADR, Legal Extern, 2014
- Civil Litigation Clinic, University of Denver, Sturm College of Law, Student Attorney, 2013
- Glaucoma Consultants of Colorado, Research Director, 2003-2014
- Asociación para Evitar la Ceguera en México, Attending Physician, 1999-2002
- Private Practice, Ophthalmologist, 1998-2002
- Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, Assistant Professor, 1989-1991