Mr. Zimmerman has an AV – Preeminent rating from Martindale Hubbell, its top designation. As a litigation and trial attorney, Mr. Zimmerman has successfully negotiated the resolution of hundreds of disputes and on behalf of his clients, taken thousands of civil depositions and where settlement was not achievable, favorably represented his clients at trial. He successfully argued before the California Supreme Court the important case of LeFrancois v. Duet Technologies, Inc. (2005) 35 Cal.4th 1094 reversing the lower court on behalf of his clients in a wrongful termination case. In 2010, following jury trial in the Santa Clara Superior Court, he successfully defended his client’s Judgment in the UDC Homes, Inc. v. CH2M Hill (2010) 181 Cal.App.4th 10 by clarifying and expanding to the landmark ruling California Supreme Court in Crawford v. Weather Shield Mfg. Inc.
Mr. Zimmerman is an active member of the Association of Defense Counsel of Northern California (ADC) and the Defense Research Institute (DRI). He is also a past member of the ADC Board and current member of the Construction Defect Subcommittee. He is an arbitrator and mediator for the Superior Court and lecturer on the law and civil trial practice before the ADC and the DRI. Mr. Zimmerman is a member of the California State Bar and Santa Clara County Bar Association and admitted to practice in all state court and the United States Federal District Court for the Northern and Eastern Districts of California.
Mr. Zimmerman grew up in Menlo Park, California. He graduated from the University of California at Berkeley in 1980 with Bachelor of Arts degrees in History and Political Science with Honors and Distinction in General Scholarship. In 1983, Mr. Zimmerman graduated cum laude from the University of Santa Clara School of Law and was admitted to the California practice of law the same year. Mr. Zimmerman joined Robinson and Wood, Inc. now Messner Reeves LLP, in San Jose immediately after Law School and has been an equity partner since 1989. He is married with three children.
- J.D., The University of Santa Clara School of Law, 1983, Cum Laude
- B.A., Political Science & History, University of California at Berkeley, 1980, with Honors and General Distinction
- State Bar of California
- Past Board Member/Lecturer/Member – Association of Defense Counsel of Northern California (ADCNC)
- Member/Lecturer – Defense Research Institute
- Member – ADCNC Construction Defect Subcommittee
- Partner and Legal Action Committee Member, California Building Industry Association (CBIA)
- Member, Building Industry Association (BIA) Bay Area Chapter
- Arbitrator/Mediator/Judge Pro Tem – Santa Clara Superior Court
- Santa Clara County Bar Association
- 1983 – 2017: Robinson & Wood, Inc. (Partner 1990 – 2017)