Messner Reeves LLP, a mid-size national law firm, is seeking an experienced and highly qualified Legal Assistant to join the Litigation team in our Denver office.
Position Overview: Candidates will be primarily responsible for assisting attorneys with all aspects of litigation, including discovery, court filings and trial preparation in Federal and State Courts. Experience with document management systems is required. Candidates will also have proficiency in word processing and proof reading, including the use of styles in formatting of pleadings, discovery and other legal documents, as well as generating tables of content and authorities as required. Candidates should also be pro-active to handle necessary tasks for busy attorneys minimal supervision. The ideal candidate will take the initiative, have strong attention to detail, be highly organized & have impeccable communication skills.
- Preferred insurance defense and/or labor/employment experience
- Solid understanding of civil litigation (state and federal calendar deadlines and rules)
- Being well versed in both federal and state court procedure and filing requirements, including e-filing in federal court
- Advanced skill using MS Word, version 2016, to include using styles, tracking changes, document comparison, generating TOC’s and TOA’s, and Outlook; basic proficiency in Excel
- Fundamental knowledge of legal terminology, court rules and procedures
- Organized, reliable, and attentive to detail
- Work successfully in a team environment
Job duties include but are not limited to:
- Experience handling multiple attorneys with full caseloads
- Coordinate heavy scheduling and calendaring for attorney meetings, court deadlines, depositions, etc.
- Heavy client contact, contact with witnesses and opposing counsel to obtain information pertinent to the case matter
- Document production and organization a must. Organize records, documents, correspondence, and files into a manageable format
- Prepare files and/or binders for hearings, depositions, meetings, and trial
- Assist with client engagement and retention, including preparation of engagement letter, conflict check, conflict waivers, and submitting information to open matters
- Follow the ethical requirements as set forth by the Rules of Professional Conduct of the State
- Ability to think and act independently and with minimal supervision
- Articulate, organized and a team player with excellent listening, verbal, and communication skills
- Highly organized with strong attention to detail and ability to meet deadlines
- Pre-trial preparation and trial assistance experience required
- Must demonstrate a strong worth ethic and consistent schedule